|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
DEPATISnet is a patent search system created by the German Patent and Trademark Office. Text at DEPATISnet is originally in German or English, so users can utilize translation software, like Google translate, to translate the website into their chosen language. DEPATISnet has both German and English interfaces. Some quotes from DEPATISnet were translated from the original German into English for this article. DEPATISnet searches "a worldwide collection of about 60 million patent documents." The system "is offered free of charge by the DPMA. The data on the latest German documents are available each day of publication (usually Thursdays) currently available."
Users can use five search modes:
- Beginner - This search form provides defined fields in which the user can search (Publication number, Title, Applicant/Owner/Inventor, Publication date, All IPC fields, Search in full text). Examples for the correct query format are provided beside each field.
- Expert - This search form is similar to a command line interface, since users can search in multiple fields, use parentheses, use Boolean operators, and use wild card and truncation operators in a single query. Buttons with available operators and a drop-down menu of available fields aid the user in creating the search query.
- IKOFAX - This search form is a command line interface for users skilled in IKOFAX syntax.
- Family - Users can search for INPADOC patent family members "via the document number."
- PIZ support - Users can "forward requests to pros at the German Patent Information Centres" and "receive the answer by e-mail/mail/fax."
When users choose to view a full record, they are first taken to the bibliographic data of the document. Users can view PDF versions of the cited documents, they can print the document's bibliographic data, or they can choose to view the PDF version of document. In the PDF viewer of DEPATISnet, users can either page through the original version of the document through forward and backward arrows at the top of the screen, or they can choose to view different sections of the original document (Bibliographic Data, First Page, Abstract, Search Report, Description, Claims, Drawing, Additional Abstract). Users can load the full document, but they first must manually enter a string of characters to verify that they are human.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "DEPATISnet." DPMA website, http://www.dpma.de/service/e_dienstleistungen/depatisnet/index.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- ↑ "Search." DPMA website, http://www.dpma.de/patent/recherche/index.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Search." DEPATISnet website, http://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisNet/depatisnet?window=1&space=menu&content=index&action=recherche. Accessed April 28, 2011.