|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
The Eurasian Patent Information System (EAPATIS), created by the Eurasian Patent Office (EAPO), is "supported by more than 30 local revolving patent databases" and, as of 2005, hosted "25.5 million descriptions of patent documents." (All quotes from the EAPATIS website are translated from native Russian to English.) Patent documents searchable in this system come from the Eurasian Patent Office, WIPO, EPO, USPTO, USSR, and Russia from 1924 onwards. PCT documents are also searchable in the system. The system "implements meta-search tool in external patent databases" like IDPL, espacenet, EPOLine, and JOPAL. Only bibliographic data "in the form of abstracts and bibliographic descriptions" is available for patent documents, and links to some documents on external sites are provided. Users can access the database for free through a guest log-in, and users can also pay to access "cover sheet and complete descriptions of Eurasian patents and published Eurasian applications." According to the website, "paid access is granted after a contract for patent information services on the basis of EAPATIS."
Major Recent Updates
An English-language guest log-in is now available. On the home-page, users must click on "Guest logon (English)." All search forms and reference materials are available in English through this version of the portal.
Users can access the system for free by signing in through a guest log-in. The system is in Russian, so users can use translation software, like Google Translate, to translate the system into the language of their choice. Unfortunately, many of the buttons and icons will remain in Russian, even after the user translates the page. According to the overview, "the system can engage in any case, numerical and personal searches using the logical functions AND / OR." The user can utilize the advanced search, titled "Search by properties," in the central top section of the page. In the advanced search, users can choose the field through a drop-down menu. They then type their query in the adjacent search form. Users can search with multiple search fields in the advanced search.
Below the advanced search form is a "Quick Search" form, and a list of links to reference materials appears below the quick search. Reference materials include:
- "Service capabilities EAPATIS" - Instructions on how to construct queries in the correct format within each search field, how to refine your query, and an overview of the available Boolean and wildcard operators for the system.
- "Help on the status of the search database" - A chart of patent authorities and dates covered by the system.
- "How to fill out a form?" - A description of the symbols for each search field and instructions on how to use the advanced and quick search forms.
- "Examples for filling in" - Instructions for correctly inputting queries into each search field.
- "Search Index" (PDF) - An instructional document in Russian.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 "Overview." Eurasian Patent Information System website, http://www.eapatis.com/info/descript.htm. Accessed April 22, 2011.