|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
IHS Standards is a website created by IHS Inc. where users can order technical industry, government, and military standards in hardcopy or PDF format. IHS distributes standards and specifications from over 460 technical societies, and the company also publishes reference books, manuals, and guides. Users can create an account and search through available standards for free, but users must pay a fee to purchase the print or PDF versions of the standards. Only bibliographic details on the standards are available on this search system; users must order the documents in order to read the full text in PDF or print format. Users can change the language of the website from English to French or German.
Users can browse or search for standards through the following options:
- Search by document number or keyword/title. Users can read the search tips on the Help page of the ISH website to learn how to correctly input the queries.
- Search by Publisher (beside the keyword and document number search forms). Select from a drop-down list of organizations to narrow standards by publisher.
- Users can browse through standards categorized by industry under the "Browse by Industry" side menu.
- A list of popular product types for each industry category is listed in the side menu "Featured Products."
After conducting a search, a hit list displays the results with the title, edition, last date of change, and price (hardcopy or PDF) listed for each result. Users can select to view previous revisions of the document, view the document details and abstract, and purchase a hardcopy or PDF version of the standard. The document details list bibliographic information about the document, whether it is in stock, and similar documents that customers have also purchased.
If the users creates an account, they can view and edit information under the "My Account" section:
- Billing address
- Shipping address
- Order history
- Payment preferences
- Account settings
- Currency display
IHS also provides some free tools and resources through their website:
- A list of common abbreviations that appear in the Standards database
- Free catalogs, which users can download in PDF format
- Free newsletters (Telecom/Electro Newsletter, Aerospace and Defense Newsletter, Energy Industry Newsletter, IHS & Publishing Partner Top Docs)
- Lists of new and revised documents
- Expert research services