IPONZ (Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand)
|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
The Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand allows users to search for New Zealand patent documents, trade mark documents, design documents, or Plant Variety Right (PVR) documents. Users can also search the Trade Mark Classification database (which is "based on the 9th edition of the Nice Classification System"). The site allows users to search and access some features for free, but registered users (who pay a fee) receive access to additional features. According to the Search guide (select link to "searching guide" at the end of the instructions in the top central box):
All users can:The search guide also contains instructions on building searches in different search forms, available operators, how to view and download documents, how to request reports, how to save searches, how to change your personal preferences, and how to make payments through the IPONZ website.
- search for IPs using a subset of the available criteria
- view a list of IPs matching the search criteria specified
- request reports via email or fax
- view a database extract for retrieved IPs
Registered users can additionally:
- search using extended criteria
- use advanced searching
- save searches and retrieve them later
- set up default user preferences
- use search logs
A non-registered user has access to the following search forms:
- Patent Search - Users can search all fields by keyword, search within basic fields (keyword, owner name, inventor name, New Zealand Numbers), or search under additional fields, like classification, "Applicant/Patentee/Agent/Inventor," dates, publication numbers, or legal status.
- Trade Mark Search - Users can search for trade marks or protected marks within basic fields (trade mark word, owner name, New Zealand Numbers), or search under additional fields, like "Word/Image," classification, "Applicant/Agent/Proprietor/Registered User," dates, "Protected Mark Criteria," or legal status.
- Design Search - Users can search all fields by keyword, search within basic fields (keyword, owner name, New Zealand Numbers), or search under additional fields, like classification, "Applicant / Agent / Proprietor," dates, "Design Criteria," or legal status.
- Plants Variety Rights Register - Users can search by owner, contact address, denomination, commercial name, genus, or common name.
Users build their search queries through the search forms and drop down menus. When the user has entered all search parameters, they must scroll to the top of the page and press the "Submit Query" link, located under the search form title. Users can then view their full query in a single search field with the results listed beneath. Users can modify their query from within the single search field, or they can return to the original search form to modify their query. The full bibliographic record of the search results can be viewed by selecting the box beside the desired search result and clicking on "View Selected" at the top of the page. Users can select multiple documents from the search results to view in full record format at one time.
- ↑ "IPONZ - Trade Mark Classification Database." IPONZ website, http://vs01277.vh1.server-web.co.nz/iponz/Classifications.asp. Accessed May 3, 2011.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Searches Overview." IPONZ website, http://www.iponz.govt.nz/cms/banner_template/IPPATENT (select link to "searching guide" at the end of the instructions in the top central box). Accessed May 3, 2011.