Report:FreePatentsOnline/Major Recent Updates
|Report||Patent Coverage Map||Ratings||Comments|
|This search system report was created by the Intellogist Team and is available for viewing only. If you'd like to share your knowledge on Intellogist, please visit the Best Practices, Glossary, or Community Reports pages. Registered users may be notified of any substantial changes to this report by placing a "watch" on the Revisions page, which is the last page listed in the table of contents. To learn more about using the Intellogist "watchlist," see the Watchlist Help page.|| |
Major Recent Updates
See the Intellogist update policies for more information.
The homepage of FreePatentsOnline now links to the subscription patent search platform AcclaimIP, previously known as CobaltIP.
A recent blog post from the Patent Librarian's Notebook details updates to the resources and coverage of FreePatentsOnline, including:
- A version of the MPEP
- Case law database containing Federal appellate cases referenced in the MPEP
- German patent data
The homepage of FreePatentsOnline appears to have been redesigned. Search options are available at the very top of the homepage (search patents/apps, blogs/groups, non-patent literature, MPEP, or case law), and options in the main horizontal menu include:
- Search: Quick search or expert search form available.
- MPEP 2.0 (Manual of Patent Examining Procedure)
- Tools and Resources: Links to additional tools available on the site, such as patent research/citation tools, RSS Feeds, technology journal articles, patent classes, application classes, and patent maps.
- Product & Services: Links to CobaltIP, custom data services, and university services.
FreePatentsOnline adds "Non-patent Literature" data coverage from Gale Cengage Learning. Coverage appears to date from the early 1980's to the present and comprises full text, bibliographic, and table data.
FreePatentsOnline ends hosting and search portal arrangement with SureChem.
In October 2009, FreePatentsOnline announced a suite of analytics services. The press release for the announcement can be found at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/08/prweb427476.htm.
In July 2009, FreePatentsOnline announced a new product called "LocalPatents.com" intended to display patents geographically. For more information, please see our Other Features section as well as FreePatentsOnline's press release here: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/07/prweb2609044.htm
In December 2008, FreePatentsOnline introduced Patent Plaques, an html-enabled graphic that can be displayed on a webpage to link users back to a patent document on FreePatentsOnline. Additional information about this feature can be found in the Other Features section.
CitePatents, a site centered around informing people about patents and how to properly cite them, was launched by FreePatentsOnline. An official press release can be found here, and more information can be found in the Other Features section.
FreePatentsOnline also increased portfolio limits from the previous 5 portfolio and 1,000 total document limit to the new limit of 20 portfolios and 10,000 total documents. Additional information about portfolios can be found in the Saving Results section.
- ↑ White, Michael. "New: FreePatentsOnline Adds DE Patent Data, Other Resources." Published September 14, 2012. The Patent Librarians Notebook blog, http://patentlibrarian.blogspot.com/2012/09/new-freepatentsonline-adds-de-patent.html. Accessed September 22, 2012.
- ↑ "Free Patents, LLC Announces Beta Launch of CobaltIP Patent Analytics Software." CobaltIP website, https://www.cobaltip.com/press_release.php?id=39. Accessed March 23, 2012.
- ↑ "FPO Adds Non-Patent Literature Collection." The Patent Librarian's Notebook website, http://patentlibrarian.blogspot.com/2011/03/fpo-adds-non-patent-literature.html. Accessed on March 14, 2011.