Report:PatBase Express/Major Recent Updates
|Report||Patent Coverage Map||Ratings||Comments|
|This search system report was created by the Intellogist Team and is available for viewing only. If you'd like to share your knowledge on Intellogist, please visit the Best Practices, Glossary, or Community Reports pages. Registered users may be notified of any substantial changes to this report by placing a "watch" on the Revisions page, which is the last page listed in the table of contents. To learn more about using the Intellogist "watchlist," see the Watchlist Help page.|| |
Major Recent Updates
See the Intellogist update policies for more information.
The following features are new on PatBase Express as of March 2013:
- Saved Folders - Express users can now create and save permanent results Folders by clicking on the new Folder icon found at the top of each record. Create shortcuts to add records to designated folders.
- CPC on PatBase Express - CPC frontfile is already searchable in PatBase Express using the Advanced or Boolean Search Forms. Links to the classification definitions are available. The CPC will be fully searchable within the next couple of weeks.
- Language Explorer has been added to the Basic and Non-Latin search forms on PatBase Express to enable you to retrieve multi-lingual synonyms of your keyword terms.
- Summarise and Compare functions now available when viewing full text on PatBase Express.
- Chemical Synonym Search has been added to provide a way to find relevant synonyms and numbers to assist with chemical patent searching in PatBase Express.
- Option to Search in the Same Publication added to the Advanced and Boolean search forms.
- Advanced Offline Export – You can now order offline exports of over 100 records.
- Family Explorer and Classification Explorer, Priority Map links now available in the record display.
- Snapshot limit increased to sets of 5,000 records.
- Advanced Highlighting now available – Apply an advanced highlighting scheme to results to highlight groups of keywords or phrases using up to five different colours.
- PatBase Express Portuguese Interface - A Portuguese-language interface option has been added to PatBase Express.
Following customer feedback, we are pleased to announce that the USGENE BLAST Search Portal now provides the option to set patent and published application number full-text links to go directly to corresponding PatBase Express records. [...]
To change the default USGENE BLAST Search Portal full-text links to go to PatBase Express, simply visit the "Edit profile" section of the Account tab and select your preferred service. Changing the default setting will update the default full-text links throughout the USGENE BLAST Search Portal, including in any subsequently generated reports in either XLS, DOCX or PDF format.
PatBase announced on Twitter that execution speed improvements have been implemented for the system.
The following updates to PatBase Express were described in the Autumn 2012 issue of TouchBase:
- USGene links to PatBase Express - USGENE – the US genetic sequence database produced by Sequencebase – now incorporates links to PatBase Express. Users can now go directly from their search results on USGENE to their PatBase Express accounts – so they can easily continue their search on PatBase Express and combine with other criteria once they have received the relevant hits for their sequence of interest on USGENE.
- The number of drawings in PatBase currently stands at over 156 million, and now includes representative images for Indian (IN) patent applications, reflecting the interest in Indian national filings.
- The Spring 2013 schedule for PatBase Training Courses will soon be available here.
- How will the CPC be integrated into PatBase? - The new classification will be an addition to the main search form, and will also be searchable in the command line via the CPC= command. We will retain ECLA legacy data and provide fully searchable definitions of all classifications to make the transition as easy as possible for PatBase users.
- Recent enhancements to PatBase coverage include:
- Taiwan (TW) - Full-text with searchable machine translations for patent applications from 2011 and 2012 (adding to our existing TW full-text collections).
- Korea (KR) - Searchable machine translations for all full-text. Bibliographic and full-text for B1 and Y1s from 2011 and 2012. The backfile is being loaded. Korean official English abstracts from 2012.
- China (CN) - Searchable machine translation for all full-text.
- Japan (JP) - Full-text for Japanese registered utility models, 1994 to 2010.
- PCT (WO) - Full-text for Chinese, Japanese and Korean PCT applications with searchable machine translations, 1979 to date.
- Thailand (TH) - We have added TH utility models, 1999 to 201207.
- Vietnam (VN) - We have added bibliographic data for VN patent applications and utility models, 19980126 to 201207.
- Hong Kong (HK) - We have also added bibliographic data for Hong Kong patent applications, 2004 to 201207.
- New features for PatentOrder Web include:
- Cleaner interface.
- Option to either download patents directly or to verify the order first, which allows you to see the different publications available and select before ordering.
- Preview the patent before ordering – view the title, number of pages or preview the PDF before submitting the order.
- Request a machine translation for Japanese, Chinese and Korean patents.
- Option to order File Histories or hard-to-find patent documents via Tempus IP.
- Service will be upgraded automatically for PatentOrder Web clients.
The following features are new on PatBase Express as of November 2012:
- New Excel export format (XLSX) - The brand new XLSX formatted Excel file export contains embedded images and direct links to corresponding PatBase Express records – allowing users to review exported results more fully. The new format also supports sorting and filtering to enable researchers to work more efficiently with the data.
- PatBase Express now available in Spanish - PatBase Express – the end-user version of PatBase - is now available with a Spanish interface. PatBase Express is already available with English, French, German, Chinese and Japanese interfaces.
This system has been updated since our last review. During our next scheduled update, this article will be revised to include a description of the newly added content and features.
The following feature was introduced in early July 2012 for PatBase: "From the 'other format' export option there is now a new formatted Excel (XLSX) file, which also includes links to the records on PatBase Express."
When the representative image is selected in the full record view for a patent family on PatBase Express, the user can now view all available images for multiple family members, instead of only the mosaic images for a single representative family member. By clicking the representative image in the full record view, the user opens a new window that displays a menu of all patent family members (with the number of available patent drawings displayed in parentheses beside each document number). The user can then select a family member listed in the horizontal menu to view thumbnails of all available images for that patent document. Select a thumbnail to view a full version of the image.
- Multi-directional Results Sharing with PatBase, Express and non-users - Search results (from alert results or from a saved folder) can now more easily be shared.
- Notable coverage enhancements:
- Brazil (BR) - PatBase now contains Brazilian full-text and searchable machine translations from 2006, with the backfile currently being loaded. Bibliographic data is available from 1972.
- Philippines (PH) - PH bibliographic data including title and abstract in English for patent applications and utility model applications has now been added to PatBase from 200611 to date. This adds considerable value where there is no official English language abstract available.
- Australia (AU) - AU bibliographic and full-text data from publication date 200901 to 20110701 has now been added to PatBase. Full-text from 2000 to date should be in place by mid-March, along with bibliographic data from 1979 to date.
- Malaysia (MY) - Bibliographic data for Malaysia has been added with coverage of patents from 200902.
- Additional Legal Status coverage from INPADOC - PatBase now incorporates additional INPADOC legal status coverage including Japan, Argentina and Slovakia.
- Coming soon - PCT Asian Languages Full Text - The PCT Backfile Asian Languages will soon be added to PatBase, providing Full-Text for Chinese, Japanese and Korean applications from 1978 to date.
According to a Minesoft press release, PatBase (and PatBase Express) users "will notice an enhanced service from February 2012 thanks to the completion of stage one of a two-stage extensive system upgrade":
Housed in RWS’ new state-of-the art data centre unveiled last year, the additional servers will ensure an accelerated performance when searching and reviewing full text patent documents in PatBase and the end-user interface PatBase Express. Stage 2 of the upgrade will provide for increased data storage.
The following updates were added to PatBase Express in March 2011:
- New interface design with larger fonts and brighter colors.
- Visual Explorer tool which allows users to obtain an automated visual landscape of a sample of their results set, to identify trends in keywords, applicants and IPCs.
- Combine a search with previous queries - Combine a search with any previous search queries from the current session, using Boolean operators ‘And’, ‘Or’ and ‘Not’. This new option is available when using the Advanced or Boolean search forms.
- Non-Latin search form with options to search in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, or Thai.
- Chinese interface is accessible by clicking on the Chinese flag icon after logging on.
- View folders from PatBase - The ‘public folders’ link will be available at the top right of the page.
A new PatBase interface was added to the family of PatBase products in November 2010. For more details, see the Major Recent Updates section of our PatBase report.
In addition, the company that owns PatBase Express, Minesoft, is now offering weekly training webinars for its products. A schedule of the webinars can be found here.
PatBase Express has been updated with the following features:
- Search Optimiser is a new tool that automatically does statistical analysis for display alongside the search results page. The results can then be used to modify the query.
- PatBase Express USA is available to all users and limits the data set to US data in single records.
Minesoft has announced  a partnership to incorporate the Patent iNSIGHT Pro analytics solution from Gridlogics into their PatBase product line. The combination, called "Minesoft iNSIGHT Pro," will be offered in three versions: Desktop, Enterprise, and SaaS ("Software as a Service," a model in which the user pays for an on-demand license for a software-based service). The new product will allow PatBase users to import current or saved search results and conduct various analyses. The exact features of Minesoft iNSIGHT Pro have not yet been specified, but the features of the current iNSIGHT Pro product include custom fields for each record, a patent viewer with multi-word highlighting capabilities, "advanced" searching and sorting options, family information exports, Boolean searching within patent portfolios, a claims tree and comparison viewer, and a classification browser. Gridlogics, as the Indian distributor for the PatBase product, has had an ongoing relationship with Minesoft. For more information, please see Patent iNSIGHT Pro's press release.
In October 2009, PatBase received several significant updates:
- An additional version of PatBase Express has been launched, called PatBase Express USA. This interface searches only US patent documents in single records, making it easier to restrict searches to a given document type (applications vs. grants). It was created by PatBase upon popular request from users.
- A citation tree feature has been added to the system, and is accessible via a link at the top right hand corner of the record view. Clicking on a patent number displayed in the tree will call up basic bibliographic details of the patent, and additional options will be provided, such as the option to add the document to a list of saved results, or to display the patent family for the document.
- An auto-suggest feature has been added to the Names search field in the Basic Search interface. The feature will allow users to see PatBase index entries when typing an entry to the field.
An official summary of the new features may be found on the PatBase website here.
In March 2009, a "Snapshot" feature was introduced to the product. This feature allows users to visualize the contents of results sets broken down by assignee, classification, publication country and publication date. An official summary of the new features may be found on the PatBase website here.
In February 2008, PatBase Express added a variety of features. The first enhancement is a multi-language interface in English, German, or French. As of July 2008, Japanese is also available in the interface. The Help files are available in all four languages.
The addition of Japanese character searching is anticipated in the near future.
- ↑ "What’s New In PatBase: Spring/Summer 2013." PatBase website, http://www.patbase.com/pb201303.pdf. Accessed April 6, 2013.
- ↑ "NEW: Direct links from USGENE BLAST Search Portal to PatBase Express." Minesoft website, http://www.minesoft.com/newsroom/1359039792_usgene%20link%20pR.pdf (PDF). Accessed January 30, 2013.
- ↑ "TouchBase - Issue 9, Autumn 2012." Minesoft website, http://www.minesoft.com/newsroom/1352213041_TouchBase%20Autumn%202012%20%28web%29.pdf. Accessed December 4, 2012.
- ↑ "What’s New In PatBase: November 2012." PatBase website, http://www.patbase.com/pb201211.pdf. Accessed November 8, 2012.
- ↑ "Minesoft offers a comprehensive 7-day free trial of PatentOrder – supplying global corporations with patent copies on demand." Minesoft website, http://www.minesoft.com/newsroom/1346664449_New%20PatentOrder%20Website%20Sep%202012.pdf. Accessed September 24, 2012.
- ↑ "PatBase User News." PatBase website, http://www.patbase.com/wnewinfo.asp?i=173. Accessed August 16, 2012.
- ↑ "PatBase Enhancements March 2012." PatBase website, http://patbase.com/pb201203.pdf#page=2. Accessed March 12,2012.
- ↑ "Minesoft and RWS Group announce a successful major system upgrade to PatBase to meet surging demand." Minesoft website, http://minesoft.com/newsroom/1328090807_PatBase%20system%20upgrade%20Press%20Release.pdf. Accessed May 8, 2012.
- ↑ "What’s New in PatBase Express: March 2011.” PatBase website, https://www.patbase.com/express/pbe201103.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2012.
- ↑ "PatBase Express Enhancements (March 2010)." PatBase website, https://www.patbase.com/express/pb1003.pdf. Accessed June 28, 2010.
- ↑ Minesoft partners with Gridlogics to launch an integrated IP analytics platform "Minesoft iNSIGHT Pro." PIUG website, http://wiki.piug.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14483639. Accessed February 19, 2010.
- ↑ "Software as a service," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_as_a_service. Accessed February 19, 2010.
- ↑ "Patent iNSIGHT Pro Features List." Patent iNSIGHT Pro website, http://www.patentinsightpro.com/features.html. Accessed February 19, 2010.
- ↑ "Gridlogics in India signs agreement to distribute Minesoft’s patent products." Minesoft press release, http://www.minesoft.com/pressr/INAgent1108.pdf. November 24, 2008.
- ↑ "PatBase Express Enhancements from February 01, 2008." PatBase Express website, https://www.patbase.com/express/pb0802.pdf. Accessed July 24, 2008.