Report:STN/Import, Export, and Download/Export Functions
|Report||Patent Coverage Map||Ratings||Comments|
|This search system report was created by the Intellogist Team and is available for viewing only. If you'd like to share your knowledge on Intellogist, please visit the Best Practices, Glossary, or Community Reports pages. Registered users may be notified of any substantial changes to this report by placing a "watch" on the Revisions page, which is the last page listed in the table of contents. To learn more about using the Intellogist "watchlist," see the Watchlist Help page.|| |
When searching in any of the three STN interfaces, all searches as well as their corresponding results are saved to a Transcript file. The Transcript contains all command queries, their corresponding answers, and other information both input by the user and output by the STN system. STN transcripts can be exported and saved as RTF (Rich Text Format) or PDF files in STN Express and HTML/RTF/PDF files in STN on the Web and STN Easy.
Custom Reports are created in STN Express using the Custom Report Tool which enables the user to create a report containing only the particular transcript content desired as well as customize the way in which this data is formatted within the report. This tool can be accessed from the Custom Report button on the main STN Toolbar, or alternatively from Results on the STN Express Main Menu or the File menu of the STN Online and Results window.
The Report Tool takes users through a series of screens, each with a variety of options. Once the transcripts to be included in the report are chosen, the other option screens may be navigated in any order.
One of the first options available is to choose which, if any, template is to be used for the report. Templates may be defined and used again when creating subsequent reports. If no template is chosen, then a verification box pops up. The users can select "Ignore" to continue and create a custom report.
After choosing a template, the Custom Report tool gives users the chance to select which parts of the transcript to include in the custom report. Content sections to choose from include:
- Session information: Login information, logoff information, news message, summary page
- Command information: Commands entered, structure queries and attributes, file entry information, cost information, help messages
- Data information: Expands, answers
- Other formatting options: TIFF image on own page, checkboxes included in display, checkboxes included in print
When "Summary Page" is selected, the first part of the report will consist of a hyperlinked summary of answers containing up to six fields for each answer.
If the "Answers" option is checked, the list on the right side of the Content screen will display the L-numbers and the number of answers that will be included in the report for each L-number. The box next to each answer may be unchecked if the user does not want to include it in the report. It is important to note that content selections made on this screen will be remembered from session to session.
The following options are available on the highlighting screen:
- Highlight Hit Terms – Hit terms are highlighted in red. Font and/or color of the highlighting may be changed by selecting the "Format" button. Users can opt for certain hit terms to not be highlighted by checking the "Don’t Highlight the Following Hit Terms" checkbox and entering the appropriate terms.
- Highlight the Following Terms – This feature allows users to enter additional terms to be highlighted.
- Highlight Terms in this Text File - Using this feature, users can import a saved text file of terms to be highlighted in the report.
Truncation can be used for terms in the Hit Terms and Additional Terms fields. The truncation rules include:
- ? - any number of characters
- # - 0 or 1 characters
After setting the desired Highlighting options, users have the option to setup a Cover Page for the report. The content to be included on the cover page is selected with the checkboxes to the left side of the window. The tabs to the right may be used to enter and modify the information within each section of the cover page. For example, if users select the "Title" tab, the default title (consisting of the names of the transcripts) is displayed in the default font and size. Users can modify this text to their liking and may select the Format button to change the font.
The Header/Footer screen allows the user to add headers and/or footers to the report. See the screenshot below:
The Fields screen guides the user in selecting the fields to be included in the report. Available fields are listed in the "Field Names" list on the left side of the screen and fields to be included in the report are listed in the "Selected Fields" list on the right. A "Preview" button on this screen also allows the user to preview their custom report based on the selected fields. To update the preview, users can select the "Update Preview" button.
Note for STN Express version 8.3 and below: If the “Corporate Source” field is present in a transcript, both “Corporate Source” and “Cleaned CS” fields are created. The “Corporate Source” field contains the raw data which, in addition to names of companies and organizations, may also include extraneous information such as addresses and phone numbers. This extraneous information has been eliminated from the “Cleaned CS” field.
There are two different ways to present patent data in a report: tables or individual lines. To present patent data as a table, users should include the "Patent Information," Application Information" or "Priority Application Information" fields. To present patent data as individual lines, users should include the "Individual PI," "Individual AI" or "Individual PRAI" fields.
When Application Information, Patent Information, Priority Application Information, Individual AI, Individual PI, or Individual PRAI are chosen, an additional pane will appear on the right side of the Report Tool window providing additional options for selecting patent data to be included in the report.
The next screen is the Statistics screen. This screen gives the user the opportunity to create histograms or pie charts within the report. Up to three histograms or pie charts can be created from the transcript as part of the report.
Users can select the "Save Template" button in the lower left corner of the Report Tool to save the attributes of the current report as a template for future use.
Users can now add comments about a specific record to customized reports and tables by selecting "Add Comments" on the right side of the record. The user can enter their comment in a text box, click OK, and the comment will appear in a box under the answer number line. Users can change the default format for comments by selecting "Format Report Comments" in the Content screen.
Custom Tables containing data from answers within a transcript can be created using the Custom Table tool. Custom Tables can include:
- Substance names, molecular formulas, and structures from the Registry file
- Titles, patent assignees, and IPCs from patent records
- Patent information, titles, and graphics
- Substance names, molecular formulas, and structures from the Registry file
The Custom Table tool can be accessed by clicking the Table Tool button on the STN Express Main Menu toolbar or the STN Online and Results window. The Table Tool may also be accessed from the Results menu of the STN Express Main Menu or from the File menu of the STN Online and Results window.
A table is constructed in much the same way as a Report. The user navigates through a series of screens each containing options for choosing the content and formatting of the table.
Predefined Reports and Tables
STN Express gives users the option of creating a predefined report or table. These reports and tables contain many of the most commonly included fields and formatting. The predefined options can be modified by the user and therefore used as a starting point for creating a customized report or table. The Predefined Report feature is accessed from the Predefined Report button on the STN Express main menu or the STN Online and Results window.
STN Express provides the following Predefined Report options:
- Patents and Journals
- Substance Report
- Substance Report with Properties
- Substance Table
- Substance Table with Properties
After users select one of the predefined report options, the Transcript File Dialog is displayed. Users can select a transcript file, and a report/table is automatically displayed with all of the applicable records from the selected transcript.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "STN Express Version 8.4 for Windows." CAS website, http://www.cas.org/ASSETS/1E5315BFABD74BAE9427954707BB55D1/winug84.pdf. Accessed July 19, 2011.
- ↑ "Documentation." STN on the Web site, https://stnweb.cas.org. Accessed July 22, 2011.
- ↑ "Search History." STN Easy website, https://stneasy.cas.org/html/english/helps/1getstrt/1Htrans.htm. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- ↑ "Adding a Summary to Your Custom Report." CAS website, http://www.cas.org/support/stnexp/seehow/customreport.html. Accessed July 22, 2011.
- ↑ "Previewing a Report." CAS website, http://www.cas.org/support/stnexp/seehow/previewing.html. Accessed July 22, 2011.