Report:STN/Search History Interface/Alerts
|Report||Patent Coverage Map||Ratings||Comments|
|This search system report was created by the Intellogist Team and is available for viewing only. If you'd like to share your knowledge on Intellogist, please visit the Best Practices, Glossary, or Community Reports pages. Registered users may be notified of any substantial changes to this report by placing a "watch" on the Revisions page, which is the last page listed in the table of contents. To learn more about using the Intellogist "watchlist," see the Watchlist Help page.|| |
STN has an alerting feature known as Selective Dissemination of Information or “Automatic Current Awareness Search.” The alerting functionality is accessed though the "SDI" (or "ALERT") command. SDI alerts run on a user-defined, periodic basis. SDI queries run only on the portion of a database that has been updated since the last time the SDI query was run. SDI options include:
- SDI: Runs in one file
- SDI MFILE: Runs in multiple files
- SMARTracker: Runs a chemical substance-based query in CA, CAplus, HCA, or HCAplus
- SDI TOC: Delivers the Table-of-Contents from a journal indexed in the CAplus file
An L-number containing search criteria is entered as the query when running the "SDI" command. The L-number may be from a search run in the current session, or created with the QUERY command. The L-number may also be one that is created when a saved query or answer set is activated.
Users of SDI alerts have four different options when it comes to delivery:
- Offline: Alert results delivered by mail
- Online: SDI Answer sets saved in online long-term storage
- Fax: SDI answer set delivered via fax
- Email: Answer set delivered via email
Note: Email delivery requires an STNmail ID (An STNmail ID is a personal identification code that is required in order to send search results electronically).
Entering the command "SDI" (or "ALERT") by itself will take the user through a series of prompts to acquire all of the information necessary to create an alert.
Users can also modify setup and query parameters for SDI alerts by using the SDI EDIT command. Users must enter the file where the SDI was created, type SDI EDIT, and answer system prompts in order to edit the alert.
An SDI wizard is available in STN Express, which helps the user create or edit an SDI alert. An Alert (SDI) Assistant is also available on STN on the Web, but no SDI options seem to be available on STN Easy.
- ↑ "SDI." CAS website, http://www.cas.org/training/stncommands/sdi.html. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- ↑ "SDI EDIT." CAS website, http://www.cas.org/training/stncommands/sdiedit.html. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- ↑ STN Express Version 8.4 for Windows." CAS website, http://www.cas.org/ASSETS/1E5315BFABD74BAE9427954707BB55D1/winug84.pdf. Accessed July 19, 2011.
- ↑ "Documentation." STN on the Web site, https://stnweb.cas.org/. Accessed July 25, 2011.